Saturday 17 February 2007

Tottenham Carnival Launch and gay stuff

I popped along to the launch of the Tottenham Community Festival last Thursday (Tottenham Carnival) and over 300 people were in attendance at the CONEL (College of North East London) to look at what will be happening at Bruce Castle on 23rd June.

David Lammy, Labour MP for Tottenham, did a good speech about being proud of Tottenham, our Borough's Mayor, Cllr Gina Adamou (Lab, Harringay ward) said a few words of support as did Eric Monk, from Haringey Police. My old mate, Cllr Sheila Peacock (Lab, Northumberland Park ward) was wearing a touch of fancy-dress head gear and is said, I'm told, to be buzzing from the event. Alas had to leave early for my residents' association meeting, but was good to be there and see loads of young people really looking forward to the event.

Talking about the carnival, HarinGAY, the borough's LGBT social group will have a stall at the carnival in what will become a week of gay-politics for me, starting with the carnival, with the TUC LGBT Conference later in the week where I will be part of the Amicus (my trade union) delegation and then London Pride on Saturday 30th June.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With "mates" like that...