Tuesday 6 February 2007

Council stuff

Last night saw the Full Council of Haringey Councillors.

We started with tributes to the late Adelaide Tambo, who had died recently. Adelaide had been involved with the ANC and received the Freedom of the Borough back in 1990. Moving tributes were made by the Council leader, George Meehan, and former deputy leader, Harry Lister. This part of the Council meeting and the Minute's Silence was filmed by South African tv and I understand shown in South Africa.

We had our State of the Borough Debate and Budget, which the Liberals opposed and tried to present an alternative Budget, though making savings of £400,000 but wanting to spend more just does not add up, typical. I mean, one of their savings was to do away with the Mayor's Reception at Alexandra Palace - saving £4,000. In the bigger picture, this is peanuts and is geasture politics only!

By the end of the evening people were actually in a good mood.

Had a meal with Dilek and Sheila (fellow Councillors afterwards).

Anyway, off to a meeting shortly about the new proposed secondary school which will be in Noel Park.

I hope my blogs will work ok.

2 comments:

Cllr Matt Davies said...

Hi Alan and welcome to the blogging world.

I know I talk quickly, but if you added up all I'd said we detailed £525k of savings and the same amount of spending - completely balanced.

Well, if you remember, we had £500 floating around spare - that was what I suggested for costs to help the Mayor replace her new gas guzzler with something environmentally friendly instead.

If you'd like, I can send you a copy of my speech and you can see how it all adds up perfectly...

All the best

Matt

Alan's Blogs said...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the warm welcome, not sure if I've got this game right, but hey we'll see how it goes.

We'll be looking at your alternative budget in full detail, indeed I even welcome that you've produced this, it is of course the first Lib Dem Budget since Alex L' Estrange was on the Council - and that was back in the late 1980s!

cheers, alan.