Thursday 23 July 2009

My first full council

Obviously not my very first ever council meeting, but the first sitting as a Conservative councillor on the Opposition staring at my former Labour colleagues.

Monday night was always going to be a tough one and with local Tories and local residents in the gallery there to support me, certainly helped. Booed by a couple of Labour supporters and clapped and welcomed by others, I was able to get in and ask a question to Haringey leaseholders and supporting them against Labour's plan to charge them almost £1000 for an arial tax. The tv licence is bad enough, but now Labour Haringey want to impose a new arial tax for leaseholders as part of moving digital - it will be free to council tenants. Come on Labour, where is the equality? By the way, I'm a council tenant, so what's good for me should be good for leaseholders.

As I had a drink with others in the pub at the end of the meeting, I was saddened to see one of my former Labour colleagues and once close friend mouth a few unfriendly comments as she walked by....... Still, I've had worse from better!!

No comments: