Thursday 9 July 2009

I've joined the Tories..... and a gym

After a great deal of soul-searching, I've taken one of the hardest political decisions in my life. One that will probably see friends decide no longer to be friends and possibly making new friends.

I have joined the Conservative Party. It was a difficult decision and I know will hurt, anger and upset many. After 27 years of unbroken membership of the Labour Party, I really did not feel at home with Labour any more. It has been on the cards for many months and as I say, a great deal of soul-searching. It also means that I have become the lone Haringey Conservative Councillor facing 31 Labour and 25 Lib Dems at council meetings. What fun lays ahead for me. I have made clear however that at council meetings, I will vote against Labour where I feel it is right and vote for them when also correct. I will not be an Opposition councillor just for the sake of opposing, for Labour has done many good things over the years as well as ones that I have not been happy with.

I moved to the Tories yesterday in a photo-shoot with Party chairman, Eric Pickles. Some of the remarks on some websites have been nasty and cruel, but interesting is that most people who have said nasty things have hidden away their real name. Attack me if you will for my decision, but to my face please. So, yesterday afternoon and last night I was out in Noel Park delivering letters to local residents letting them know of my decision to defect. But the main thing I want to say is that I hope to continue working hard for the people who voted for me, to show even more than the trust they put in me three years is deserved. The reaction was very mixed, as I expected and interesting to hear people saying things like "I'll remain your friend, but will not vote for you" to "I have always voted for you for your standing up for Noel Park and will continue to do so".

Finally, I reiterate, I am sorry to any one who feels hurt and betrayed. Time will tell whether Noel Park residents accept this apology and it is to them that I will listen to and work for.

In the meantime, I have finally had my first hour and a half in the gym at the Tottenham Court Road YMCA. I won the membership of this in an auction last year, so I hope to burn off a few calories and perhaps start to eat a bit more healthy.

A whole new start...... though I am shattered!!!!

3 comments:

Cate Munro said...

Alan, I was alerted to this by one of my friends who lives in Haringey - and I have to say - what a courageous decision on your part! I also am glad to see yet another person waking up to the realities of life in 21st century Labour Britain.

I realise what a hard decision this must have been for you - but as the saying goes "fortune favours the bold."

I absolutely think you have made the right decision, and although many may not, you have followed your heart and your instincts with admirable honesty, and that must be respected at any level!

All the Best
Tp

Axel John Landin said...

This article completely misses the crux of the issue.
Were you never left-wing before, or have you stopped being left-wing and turned right-wing?
Did you never prioritise equality, diversity and social justice, or have you recently swapped them for market fundamentalism, laissez-faire inequality, and a tax-light business-friendly economy?

Anonymous said...

Axel is still clearly immersed in student politics - NUS? He'll soon be a Labour councillor here in Haringey to join the likes of Goldberg and Co who STILL think they're proposing and opposing NUS motions at council meetings. He'll grow up – eventually, the poor kid. Probably has rich parents like the Camden-based Millipedes, and is just dipping his toes in the political waters before he gets a well-pad job in the ‘Mejia’. Better to just pity him, Alan.