Wednesday 9 May 2007

It's been a long time!

Hello there, remember me?

It has been almost a month since I placed a new entry on my blog.

Work and Council stuff has been busy, poor excuse and there seems so much to catch up on, starting with tomorrow's news that Tony Blair will make an announcement. Well, I wonder what that will be? Erm, oh yes, he will resign as Labour leader and for the next seven weeks the Party will begin the process of choosing it's next leader. It seems that the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, will be elected. Now whether he will face a challenge from the left of the party is unsure.

For my view, there should be a challange, a chance for debate, though I would not vote for either John McDonnell or Michael Meacher, so Gordon it is. However, there will be a far more interesting race for deputy leader and as mentioned before I'll be voting for Jon Cruddasm (Labour MP for Dagenham) to take over, but should he not get through it is a case of where will my second preference go? That is tricky, but it will probably be between Alan Johnson and Hilary Benn, in fact I won't really know until I get my ballot paper.

Of course last Thursday saw the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and English Council elections. Should I skip my comments, Hell no, these were not good for Labour losing almost 500 council seats, however given that we expected to lose around 750 is slightly better, in fact, yes we lost seats, however we also GAINED seats and GAINED councils, Leicester and Luton spring to mind, we made small net gains in Bristol and Southampton and we gained two seats in council by-elections in Hastings.

Yes a bad night for Labour, but to be honest ten years into government and the Tories should have been winning more. And what of the Lib Dems? A mixed night for them, though seeing Ming arrive in Eastbourne where the Liberals took control where the average age of people appears to be 102, Ming, I'm told upped the average age to 103. I'm sorry, I know it's cruel and un-PC, but hey they attack us, we attack them and given how evil and nasty Lib Dems can be (Charles Kennedy anyone??), I'll take no lectures from them about Ming. Anyhow, the Liberals who are so eager for any type of power will jump into bed with anyone if the price is right, clearly they are the prostitutes of politics. They are pretending to be shy about going in with the SNP, go on, you know you want to.... and in Wales do they go with Labour or go with the Tories and Plaid Cymru?

To quote from Simon Jenkins excellent article in today's Guardian "Coalition, the natural consequence of PR, removes the outcome of an election from the hustings to the private deal of corridors, cabals and careerism"....... "we have Lib Dem members flying around like £10 notes thrown into the wind. They carry no content, no programme, no sense of direction". Cor, wish I'd thought that bit up!!

So, not the best of night's for Labour and many good Labour people have lost their seats more for national than local issues in many cases (unless of course you have your rubbish removed every other week).

I will try and blog slightly more so we don't have these long items...

Stay tuned.

No comments: